This is a super soft bundt, with a fruity undertone from the olive oil, tang from the lemon and sweetness from the white chocolate ganache
I recently ate an ice cream which was lemon, poppyseed, olive oil and white chocolate flavoured. It sounds like a lot of flavours, but worked surprisingly well.
The olive oil really enhances the fruitiness of the lemon and the white chocolate cuts through the tang.
FOR THE LEMON, POPPYSEED AND OLIVE OIL BUNDT
- 180ml good-quality olive oil
- 300g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- 240ml cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 45ml lemon juice
- 125ml full cream milk
- 30g poppyseeds
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Mix three tablespoons of butter, three tablespoons of flour and three tablespoons of oil together to make a paste. Grease a bundt tin well by brushing it with the paste.
- Sift the flour, cornflour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- Mix the milk and the lemon juice together and set aside.
- Place the melted lemon zest, oil and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine, about a minute (I usually just use a hand whisk).
- Then add the eggs and mix for about a minute.
- Add a third of the flour to the sugar and egg mixture and gently whisk in.
- The add the milk.
- Add another third of the flour and mix, followed by the milk and finally the last batch of flour.
- Stir in the poppyseeds.
- Place into a pre-heated oven to bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
FOR THE LEMON SYRUP
- 150g caster sugar
- 75ml lemon juice
- Whilst the cake is in the oven, heat the sugar and lemon juice together until the sugar has dissolved.
- Continue to boil for about 5 minutes to allow the syrup to thicken.
- Once the cake comes out of the oven, let it rest for 10 minutes. Then loosen it so it will turn out of the bundt easily.
- Whilst still in the tin, but loose, poke holes in the base of the cake with a toothpick and pour a quarter of the hot syrup.
- Let it seep in for a few minutes, then turn the bundt cake out and brush with the remaining syrup.
FOR THE WHITE CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- 150g white chocolate, finely chopped
- 60ml whipping cream
- poppyseeds to finish
- Heat the cream until just before it boils.
- Pour over the white chocolate and stir to combine.
- Let the glaze cool, then drizzle over the cooled cake and finish off with a sprinkling of poppyseeds.
Recipe by adventureswithsugar.com