A moist cake with a wonderfully fudgy crumb, the icing on the cake (literally), is a chocolate fudge frosting
This post is sponsored by Natura Sugars.
The internet is not short of chocolate cake recipes, there are so many different variations … from mud cakes to chocolate chiffon cakes, chocolate cakes range from super dense and fudgy to light and airy.
I have shared a few chocolate cake recipes on here, but this is an essential addition to your chocolate cake repertoire. The crumb of the cake is fudgy whilst still having a distinct crumb. What contributes to this wonderful texture is the use of Natura Sugars Dark Muscavado Sugar. The sugar has a gorgeous rich, sticky texture which really adds to the depth of dark flavours in the cake.
I love keeping this as a two tier cake, with a single layer of frosting in between. This is a wonderful fudge frosting which is not overly sweet, whilst complementing the chocolatiness of the sponge without overpowering it.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE
- 100g salted butter
- 100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 250g cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 280g Natura Sugars Dark Muscavado Sugar
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 200ml black coffee
- 250ml buttermilk
- 2 jumbo eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Butter two deep 20cm cake tins and line the basis with baking paper.
- Put the butter and chocolate into a small heatproof bowl in the microwave and melt, heating on bursts of 30 seconds to prevent the chocolate burning. Set aside.
- Sift the cake flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
- Add in the muscavado sugar and whisk together. Make sure to break up any clumps in the muscovado sugar.
- Mix the coffee with the cocoa, whisking to remove any lumps.
- Whisk the two eggs to break them up, then add in the buttermilk, vanilla essence, coffee mixture and the chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix together.
- Divide the batter evenly between the tins and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middles comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
FOR THE CHCOCOLATE FUDGE FROSTING
- 350g salted butter
- 150g Natura Sugars Demerara Icing Sugar
- 70g cocoa powder
- 90g sour cream
- 200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), melted and cooled
- Place the butter into a large bowl and beat on medium speed for 5 -8 minutes or until very creamy.
- Add in the icing sugar and mix until fully combined.
- In a jug, mix together the cocoa powder with 75ml of boiling water, stirring until smooth.
- Mix in the sour cream and then pour into the butter mixture.
- Add in the melted chocolate and beat for 2-3 minutes until smooth and silky.
- Place in the fridge for about 15 minutes to set up, before frosting the cooled cake.
- To assemble the cake, put one of the sponges onto a serving platter and top with a layer of frosting or buttercream. Put the second sponge on top and spread the remaining frosting or buttercream over the top and sides of the cake.
Recipe by adventureswithsugar.com